It is not easy or fun to delay gratification of your wants by saving. But we know it is good for us, like fruits and vegetables. My advice, buy yourself a piggy bank (which makes saving fun and will always bring a smile to your face) and secondly acquire love for routine using any one of the strategies below:
- The 52 week money challenge with whatever adaptation suits you – start with Kshs.50 per week or 100 or higher or lower. Click here for more details
- Start small with gradual increments – start by depositing the smallest denomination of your currency into your piggy bank. Day 2 you double day 1’s deposit, Day 3 you double day 2’s deposit. Click here to get a clearer picture
- Keep 10% of every amount you get as savings George Clason’s rule no.1 to fattening your purse
Please note that the point here is NOT to raise a huge amount of money but to get into the habit of saving.
- Select a savings plan from the list above and stick to it for the next 30 days
- Get a piggy bank – It does not have to be store bought. You could use a former jar of sugar or jam that was headed to the dustbin. What to do with the piggy bank? Start by reading an article I wrote a few weeks ago by following this link Pigs are fun animals